The Country Mouse and the Town Mouse - Aesop's Fables Once upon a time a Country Mouse who had a friend in town invited him, for old acquaintance sake, to pay him a visit in the country. The invitation being accepted in due form, the Country Mouse, though plain and rough and somewhat frugal in his nature, opened his heart and store, in honor of hospitality and an old friend. There was not a carefully stored up morsel that he did not bring forth out of his larder, peas and barley, cheese-parings and nuts, hoping by quantity to make up what he feared was wanting in quality, to suit the palate of his dainty guest. The Town Mouse, condescending to pick a bit here and a bit there, while the host say nobbleing a blade of barely-straw, at length exclaimed, "How is it, my good friend, that you can endure the dullness of this unpolished life? You are living like a tiad in a hole. You can't really prefer these solitary rocks and woods to streets teeming with carriages and men. On my honor, you are wasting your time miserably here. We must make the most of life while it lasts. A mouse, you know, does not live for ever. So come with me and I'll show you life and the town." Overpowered with such fine words and so polished a manner, the Country Mouse assented, and they set out together on their journey to town It was late in the evening when they crept stealthily into the city, and midnight are they reached the great house, where the Town Mouse took up his quarters. Here were couches of crimson velvet, carvings in ivory, everything in short that denoted wealth and luxury. On the table were the remains of a splendid banquet, to procure which all the choicest shops in the town had been ransacked the day before. It was now the turn of the courtier to play the host, he places his country friend on purple, runs to and fro to supply all his wants, presses dish upon dish and dainty upon dainty, and as though he were waiting on a king, tastes every course ere he ventures to place it before his rustic cousin. The Country Mouse, for his part, affects to make homself quite at home and blesses the good fortune that had wrought such a change in his way of life; when, in the midst of his enjoyment, as he is thinking with contempt of the poor fare he fas forsaken, on a sudden the door flies open, and a party of revellers returning from a late entertainment, bursts into the room. THe affrighted friends jump from the table in the greatest consternation and hide themselves in the first corner they can reach. No sooner do they venture to creep out again than the barking of dogs drives them back in still greater terror than before. At length, when things seemed quite, the Country Mouse stole out from his hiding place, and bidding his ftiend good-by, whispered in his ear, "Oh, my good sir, this fine mode of living may do for those who like it, but gibe me my barely-bread in peace and security before the daintiest feast where Fear and Care are in wainting."